Safety and Ethics
Studies have shown that synthetic fragrances and wax, commonly used in some candles, have raised concerns in recent years, and rightfully so, burning such candles can release harmful compounds like phthalates and volatile organic compounds, leading to health issues and indoor air pollution. But you can still enjoy candles and avoid potential toxicity by opting for candles made with natural ingredients, scents, and essential oils. It’s important to read labels carefully to ensure their safety and ethical standards.
We are proud to use ethical fragrances that are safe, vegan, and cruelty-free. We strongly uphold our dedication to animal welfare and avoid using fragrances that are tested on animals or contain animal-based ingredients. Our fragrances and essential oils are phthalate-free and do not include any substances on California’s Proposition 65 list. Additionally, we prioritize the safety of our customers and use only the safest scents with Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDS) that ensure they are free from hazardous components such as Carcinogens, Mutagens, Reproductive toxins, Organ toxins, and Acute toxins.
Soy candles have various burn times depending on the container and wick, but in general a 4 ounce soy candle will all burn for around 20-25 hours, while an 8 ounce soy candle can burn for around 40-50 hours. However, it’s important to properly care for your soy candle in order to maximize its burn time. This includes keeping the wick trimmed to 1/4 inch before each use, and allowing the candle to burn for at least two hours or until the entire surface has melted before extinguishing it. Additionally, placing the candle in a draft-free area and avoiding burning it for more than four hours at a time can also help prolong its burn time. With proper care, your soy candle can provide a longer-lasting and cleaner-burning alternative to traditional paraffin wax candles.
Wood Wick Care
Wood wick candles are a popular choice because of their unique aesthetic and the satisfying crackling sound. If you have had difficulty keeping them lit or relighting, then I highly suggest giving them another try using these tips.
- Remove any large pieces that are near the wood wick.
- Light the wick from the bottom up, wood wicks use the wax to burn. Lighting an edge or just the top will damage your wick.
- When relighting the wick, trim the black burned area to 1/8 inch before lighting. A nail clipper, sharp scissors or wick trimmer will work.
- Burn for at least 2 hours: Wood wick candles need a bit longer to establish a full melt pool than cotton wick candles.
- Burn your wood wick candle for at least 2 hours each time to ensure a full melt pool is achieved, which will prevent tunneling.
- I use high quality wood wicks because I found that not all wood wicks are equal. With the proper care I promise you will love them as much as I do!
Handmade candles, like any candle, require proper care to ensure they burn cleanly and evenly. To help you get the most out of your soy candles, we’ve put together our top tips for soy candle care:
- Trim the wick to ¼ inch before each use to prevent smoking and ensure an even burn.
- Remove any large crystal pieces or decorative elements before burning.
- When you first burn your soy candle, light for at least two hours or until a full melt pool has been achieved. This will prevent tunneling.
- Keep your soy candle away from drafts, as this can cause uneven burning and shorten the life of your candle.
- Burn your soy candle on a heat-resistant surface and away from anything that could catch fire.
- Avoid touching or moving your soy candle while it’s burning, as the wax and container will be hot.
- Allow your soy candle to cool completely before trimming the wick or relighting.
- Display your soy candles in a cool, dry place away from direct sunlight.
- Enjoy your soy candle safely and responsibly, and never leave it unattended while burning. Extinguish before going to sleep!
- Don’t burn the candle longer than four hours at a time.
Smoke Bundle Use
Before you start, have a clear purpose in mind, such as spiritual cleansing or creating a peaceful atmosphere. Hold the bundle by the unburned end and light the opposite end. Let the flame catch for a moment before blowing it out, allowing the embers to smolder and produce light smoke. Place a large metal container or cauldron underneath to catch any falling embers. Begin at the front door and walk clockwise through each room, fanning the smoke into the corners. Visualize negative energy leaving your home while saying a mantra or prayer. Open the windows slightly to release any stagnant energy.
Remember to be careful when using smoke clearing bundles. Always place the smoldering bundle in a heatproof container like a cauldron or shell to catch any ashes. Make sure to open a window for good air circulation in the area you’re clearing. Keep pets and children outside or in a well-ventilated space.
Please keep in mind that smoke bundles are important in many cultures around the world. They are used to clear energy, create a sacred space, and bring positive energy into your life. The herbs and rituals associated with smoke bundles may differ depending on the culture and religion. These bundles have deep cultural meaning and should be treated with reverence as spiritual tools.